When looking at the budget for this year earlier today, I couldn't find any reference to the $1.00 per month that the "Promise in Glen Rose Inc" pays to Somervell County to lease the amphitheatre. I thought I had posted about this at the time I heard about it, which was back in 2015, but apparently not.
Here is the lease
Lessee agrees to pay a monthly base rent in the amount of One ($1.00) Dollar, payable at the first of each month (or which can be prepaid for the year at the start of each lease year. Lessee also agrees, as additional rent, to:
1. pay all utilities (gas, water, electric and phone services) and all solid waste collection charges, for the entire Leased Premises. This shall include all utility costs for the entire property, including outdoor watering and cleaning.
2. provide all repair, upkeep, maintenance and janitorial services or the entire Leased Premises and provide all landscaping and lawn care services for the Lease Premises.
3. timely pay all taxes or government charges or assessments, if any, assessed against the Leased Premises during the time of this lease.
4. pay the costs of operating the Leased Premises except as expressly retained by the Lessee herein.
5. provide and maintain liability insurance at its sole cost as set forth herein.
6. market and promote the venue as a tourist attraction and promote Somervell County in general as a tourist destination, including direct advertising for the County as part of ads and spots. The advertising for the County must be approved in advance by the County. A kiosk will be allowed to be maintained by the Lessor on the Leased Premises for the purpose of providing information about the County and it's various attractions to visitors and..
7. continue to stage "The Promise" during the general times and for a similar number of performances as "The Promise" has been put on in the past.
Another interesting point in this lease is that, despite the Promise only actually having performances for a short time each year, "the premises shall be used and occupied for the sole purpose of public events and shall not be used for any other purpose without the express written consent of Lessor." Presumably this means that the Promise could stage other public events and, as the lessee, determine which public events it wanted to run without asking the county. Conversely, when the amphitheatre sits idle, others cannot lease it and it's not clear whether, for example, the Promise could sub-lease it to another entity since they definitely do not use it 100 percent of the time.
AUDIO of Somervell County Commissioners Court under Judge Mike Ford voting to approve the lease on Dec 9 2014. (Also, Nov 18 2013 AUDIO)
At about the same time, the Promise org went to the City of Glen Rose EDC board to ask for a grant of $25,000. PDF from March 10 2015. PDF
In asking today re the budget, heard that apparently the Promise org paid up the 10 years in advance, which would have been roughly
$1200 total dollars. (My math was wrong, actually the Promise paid $120 for 10 years-what a DEAL!!!!) Not possible to know this from the budget, as there is no account or line item to indicate this. I have not personally confirmed that the entire amount has been paid up, the lease indicates that the pre-payment can be made at the start of each lease year.