27 March 2017 at 9:55:45 PM
In the past week I downloaded some reports that I knew were on the Glen Rose Medical Center web site. The reports that I was looking for were the Joint Commission Report and the Texas Department of Health and Human Services Report that were done on the Glen Rose Medical Center in December of 2014. I recall they were in a board packet. When I opened the board packet for January 2015 the pdf document that I opened on the Glen Rose Medical Center web site, I noticed the very last page contained a patient record. Here is a picture (redacted by me) of the patient record:
Needless to say I was kind of shocked that this patient record with SSN and all was there for me to see connected as any other user could with my browser.
My spouse Debbie contacted the family and notified them that Glen Rose Medical Center had posted their personal information on the Internet for anyone to see, which is how she was able to determine how to contact them. She even walked the family through downloading the document to their PC over the Internet so they had a copy themselves from the Glen Rose Medical Center web site.
The patient record posted online by the Glen Rose Medical Center contained the following information that was filled in, NOT encrypted, and freely available for anyone to download...clearly at least one HIPAA violation:
- Patient Full Name
- Patient Address
- Patient Age
- Patient Date of Birth (DoB)
- Patient Sex
- Patient Birthplace
- Patient Social Security Number (SSN)
- Patient Religion
- Patient Telephone
- Patient Emergency Contact information (Relationship/Address/Phone number)
- Patient Employer
- Patient Insurance Information
- Patient Medicare/Medicaid Information
- Attending Physician
- Patient Diagnosis
- Patient Alergies
The original pdf document, that has since been pulled finally TODAY I assume by request of the family, was included in a board packet for January 2015. The properties of the document indicate it was created at 10:59:01am on 8/20/2015 using a Canon iR-ADV 6055 PDF application. I can only assume file last modified indicates the time they finished scanning in all the data at 11:57:46am and the patient record was the last page (in a hurry to go to lunch?):
Assuming it was posted that same day, the patient record containing personal information was online for 585 days.
Which brings up at least a few questions...
- Why was a patient record sitting in the CEO office, where the board packets are scanned in, at the time it was 'accidentally' scanned into the board packet by either the CEO or his assistant? This is giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake, what was the document doing in there to start with?
- Why didn't the CEO or his assistant check the PDF before OR after posting it? Where's the quality assurance in the CEO office at Glen Rose Medical Center?
- Who is going to be held accountable? Isn't the CEO responsible for this since it came from his office? Will he resign?
- Will the CEO Ray Reynolds report the HIPAA violation or will he try to avoid taking responsibility by not reporting?
- Will the board even bother to call a meeting to discuss or take any action to address the self-induced problem by the CEO for the Glen Rose Medical Center and now putting the Somervell County Hospital District at risk because of possible fines that may be forthcoming?
- Do you trust Glen Rose Medical Center with your data knowing this has happened to at least one person in the community?
I would suggest actually reading the Joint Commission Report but you are now warned that you may not feel so safe going to GRMC after doing so because there is a lot of the 'Insufficient Compliance' in there that may bother you.
Tags: grmc Glen Rose Medical Center Somervell County Hospital District Pecan Plantation
Latest Blog Post by pharper -Glen Rose Medical Center posted a patient record online and it stayed there for nearly 2 years
More Posts You Might Enjoy
Somervell County Hospital District no longer doing invocations at public meetings as of Feb, 2017?
More on Ray Reynolds,CEO of Glen Rose Medical Center,Salary at Glen Rose Medical Center
Video-Somervell County Hospital District Regular Meeting 2/23/2017
Video- Somervell County Hospital District meeting 2/16/2017
You! Leave a Comment! You Know you Want To!
You must be a registered member to comment on the blog.
Your first post is held pending approval to make sure you're not a spammer bot
Or you can login!
New poster comments are moderated,
meaning they won't show up until approved... or not. Be
patient-we have lives outside this blog, so it might take awhile You
want to be rude? totally stupid? inappropriate? Racist? Bigoted? Flame war baiter? Your
post may be deleted. Spammers or people posting pretend interest
comments but really wanting to hawk their latest book or sell stuff or
govt propaganda flacks won't see their posts published. Comments do not
necessarily reflect the viewpoint of the site owner(salon).
If you have a problem with logging in or registering, please speak up right away. Love your comments. Oh, except spammers
More on commenting
Click Here for Main Page
Sid Miller Having a Bad Day about Feral Hogs- Kaput Company Pulls Out (April 25 2017)
On Somervell County Court's Case Against Lonnie Walsh (April 24, 2017)
Ruminations of the Easily Amused for 4/25/2017
Trump's Hundred Days-What Has He Done? Not Much
Yet ANOTHER Court Ruling against Texas Lege Gerrymandering and Bigotry (April 2017)
Somervell County County-District Courtroom has some cool new A/V screens